St Andrew’s Church
The origins of the church date back to Saxon times and a restored Saxon cross believed to date to 900AD stands in the south transept. A very unusual octagonal lantern tower, dating from the 15th century, sits on top of the 12th century tower which contains eight bells the oldest being from 1611.
On top of the lantern is a large copper weathercock weighing 70lbs. The magnificent and huge west window installed in 1908 replaced a plain 15th century window. The glass shows Christ in majesty surrounded by angels, the apostles and scenes from the life of St. Andrew.
Located in the centre of the town, the church had an important role in the life of the Community. In the Middle Ages the wool trade had made Colyton a great Devon town. During the 14th century, Colyton was listed as the 4th richest town in Devon according to taxes paid by its merchants, and the size of St Andrews reflects the wealth of the wool town.
The 14th – 16th century main building and later aisles contain many historical features making the church worth visiting. In the chancel are several handsome monuments to the Pole and other local families. A fire in 1933 caused extensive damage. During the restoration, a Saxon cross believed to date from AD900 was discovered inside the tower and the restored cross now stands in the South Transept. It is considered the best Saxon carving in Devon.